Accountable to: Leadership Team through the Lead Pastor
Directly Supervises: Small group Bible study facilitators and hosts, confirmation class and teen ministry leaders, various volunteer team leaders, Jesus Cares Ministries volunteers, shepherding team (elders), and Bible study teachers
Primary Ministry Areas: Discipleship, Assimilation, Volunteerism, Jesus Cares Ministries
To equip believers to become growing and actively serving members of the Body of Christ.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be devoted to the Word of God and prayer
- Preach approximately ¼ of the time (15-20 times a year including weddings, funerals, and special services)
- Teach Bible 301 class with emphasis on spiritual gift discovery and connecting all new members into small groups and volunteer teams
- New member orientation and membership covenant process in conjunction with various church members who can help put a friendly face on small groups and volunteer teams
- Organize, coordinate, and champion small groups church-wide
- Identify, equip, and shepherd facilitators and hosts for growing small group ministry
- Promote church-wide culture of cheerful volunteerism and Christ-like service
- Shepherd volunteer team leaders with the Word of God and prayer
- Determine and implement best ways to incorporate more in-depth Bible study opportunities outside of small groups
- Equip members with personal Bible study tools, modeling a healthy devotional life of daily Bible reading and prayer
- Facilitate the use of communication tools for small groups and volunteer teams—in particular the use of Church Community Builder (CCB).
- Team teach Confirmation class (6th-8th grade) and Teen Bible 101 with VotL members and provide oversight
- Quest Teen Ministry (7th-12th grade) oversight, coaching, and involvement with emphasis on developing and supporting lay leaders
- Begin, grow, and develop a vibrant Jesus Cares Ministry (JCM) to serve people in our community with special needs—mobilizing teams of volunteers to minister in local group homes and/or utilizing our ministry center facilities for special Worship at the Cross services or other events to reach people no one else is reaching with the Gospel.
- Establish and oversee a shepherding team (traditionally elders work) to reach out to straying members to reconnect them into worship, a small group, or a volunteer role.
- Counseling in person, via text, social media, email, and phone; hospital visits; visitation and member care according to needs
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Master of Divinity Degree
Experience: 5+ years in the ministry
Certifications/Licenses: Synodically certified
REQUIRED ATTITUDES, SKILLS & ABILITIES
(needed to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities)
- Finds joy in seeing people grow to maturity in Christ.
- Strong relational, interpersonal skills—ability to patiently listen, help people assess spiritual gifts, being able to connect people to one another in healthy environments
- Has a passion for equipping volunteers to do ministry along with a passion for developing spiritually healthy teams of volunteers
- Team player attitude / vision supporter
- Flexible / comfortable having Bible studies in small, informal, or public settings like restaurants or living rooms
- Is approachable and enjoys one-on-one counseling and interaction
- Is comfortable with and at ease in a less traditional, more casual contemporary worship setting designed to help guests feel safe and welcome
- Communicates well while preaching with both churched and unchurched people
- Is a good preacher but whose passion isn’t necessarily preaching
- Would enjoy training people to facilitate small group Bible studies
- Has strong organizational / people management skills
- Enjoys using and learning how to use technology both for teaching and for facilitating healthy churches processes
- Has a growth mindset (always learning, striving to learn) in regards to being open to feedback and in learning best church practices and process.
- Has a compassionate heart for people and families with special needs and a desire to begin and grow an outreach focused Jesus Cares Ministry to the community
Compensation includes an annual salary of synod code salary matrix column (TBD) commensurate to years of experience plus health insurance benefits, a housing allowance of (TBD) and reimbursement for a smartphone data plan.